11/04/2007

30 monsters!!!!!!!






























So I finally decided to post up the illustrations for my 3-volume book on mythology, "Monstrous Myths". Each volume is separated into categories; land, water, sky. The book contains 10 images plus text. The images were made with brush, pen and Sumi ink. I then light boxed my drawings on a separate sheet of paper and proceeded to block in with ink where I want color. Then I scanned everything into Photoshop and played with the hue saturation. This technique was shown to me by Pratt, it is pretty fun but I would not recommend it for a bunch of illustrations. It becomes a big pain to scan everything (I did a book but imagine a comic book...shudder to think). Then once the image was colored, I lacquer-transferred the prints onto the book pages, so what you see here isn’t the final image (they actually lose a lot of their saturation). With that said, this project was pretty fun to work on. Once I take the pictures of the final product, I will post them. In the meantime, let me know what you guys think.

8 comments:

Cateris said...

Thanks for the comment.

These are freaking AWESOME. My favorites are the ones you posted on the forum, plus the swirly dragon dude.

You're really kicking butt lately. Inspired me to play with more ink!

Adam Ford said...

Thanks for the visit and comments. Your working is amazing and that is a trmendous understatement!

Greg Dechow said...

These books rock my socks. Nice stuff Dustin. Already told you that but I decided to let the WHOLE wide world know. Also, I've been really getting into the ink stuff myself lately, guess its Pratt's influence on us.

Saigonradio said...

Thanks for the link! Just curious how you even found my blog as it is mostly viewed by friends.

You have great ink works and definitely have something going if you keep doing it. Just curious, I was in search for a dry brush pen for the longest time. I noticed you are getting some of that in your work. Do you know where they sell that type of pen or do you have to just kind of dry it up yourself with use?

IrisOn said...

these are great man, cant wait to see what you do for the boob show

sophan said...

i think these look great! i love that sumi brush look. i really want to try and do some now....thanks for the inspiration. i didn't go to the acadamy, but i would have love to.

Illink said...

Hot stuff, inspiring

dustin said...

great work man, nothing i love more than the basic black on brush.