2/12/2008

Artist Books
















So after months of procrastinating, I finally took the time to go and photograph all my books from last semester.
The first project is a book called Urban Landscapes. It is a collection of landscape drawings set to a particular story, which I wrote way back in freshman year.

The second project is a 3-volume set of books dealing with mythical beasts. Each volume is categorized (land, sea, and air). All three volumes hold 10 illustrations, each with facts about a particular mythical creature. This project sparked my interest in myth and folklore, as well as, laid down the groundwork for my thesis.

The third project, which is a book titled The Best Of, is a collaboration project between the Internet queen/awesome designer Ashley Burkett and I. The book is a collection of music artists that we felt were worthy of being crowned the best of the best.

Finally, the last project was to remake a book into some type of sculpture. The only materials required for this project is the book. Any other materials or content for the book was open. I modeled my design after bait bags from South America. They hollow out a dried Kalebas fruit (squash) and then use them to hold bait. Let me know what you all think.
Take care
-DD

15 comments:

Amanda said...

These are pretty much all kinds of awesome.

Larissa said...

These are fantastic dude, glad to know that at least you got some awesome work out of that time consuming class :)
-Larissa

Olumuyiwa Ajagbe said...

Pro work, bro. Thanks for the comment as well. You should feeling pretty good about your work now. It's definitley jumped a couple knotches, but don't get big headed now, y'er heAr! PEAS

gumkid said...

yo man, these are pretty freakina mazing

Matt Gayle said...

Nice looking books. You stitched them yourself right? How did ya get the artwork on the canvas cover, stencil? As for your questions about the illustrator project- it was an assignment to practice with live tracing and custom brushes and textures. So I scanned in reference then turn them into different paths and altered the shapes for blocks of color. I'm now learning Corel Painter and from the looks of things I might like it the best.

Greg Dechow said...

Really cool stuff Dustin. Looks like a good class to take.

Ray Jones said...

Damn you've kept yourself busy! Looks good man! I'm loving how you massed the darks in the first book, and the others are tight too. I love the graphic feel of that Thunderbird piece, and Coltrane looks great!

Sandra Lucia said...

These are a the sweetest books I seen!!

Jasmin Mora said...

those books are beautiful. That class really paid off for you man. I really hope you keep making books from here on. Very impressive.

J. Fiorino said...

Nice work man! I never saw the Hendrix or Coltrane pieces, Those kick ass! Keep it up amigo!

la muñeca said...

i want to eat these and be awesome, too

Nikolas Guardia said...

All of this looks great, man. You've convinced me to take book making next year. I'm looking forward to your thesis.

Nila Curry said...

Look o that awesome jawesome gorilla thing!

Kenny Callicutt said...

These books are great

Kendra Melton said...

Those books are AMAZING! I really want to learn how to make some. Is it hard? I would think it would be difficult to keep the whole thing clean. You should make a tutorial since you did such a good job on them. keep up the good work