3/22/2008

Quick post




Just thought I would post a quick update. I finished these two pieces for Perez's digital class. The first one was an illustrative type assignment. I have been on a shaman/ African mask kick as of lately so it is only natural that I went there. The second piece I finished right after I came back from Mega-con (I hope Perez isn’t reading this). It was an open assignment so I decided to do a graphic novel cover. The concept behind it was, what if "The House of Secrets" comic did a story based on the Japanese myth called "Mujina". The myth is about a weary traveler who comes across a group of faceless people. I wanted to do a little painting this time around since I have been inking none stop. I figured since she was faceless I would try out one of Mark English's techniques. Now I didn’t follow it exactly, but I did use it as a starting point. The only regret is that I did not make it as scary as it should have been. I mean it’s supposed to be "The House of Secrets" but it feels more like “Memoirs of a Geisha”. Let me know what you think.
-DD

6 comments:

Eric Sweetman said...

I think your geisha looks great, but I don't get the "faceless" aspect of it. Her features are all there, just hazy, so I read a mystery in your illustration, but not a scary horror story. Fantastic shaman illustration!

Ruki said...

I like the dress patterns ,is it cc digital?
My parents house is full of african mask, some of them very old to be made of wood and with lots of holes from the woodworm. The drawing is cool.

JMyall said...

dude, your stuff is getting so good its crazy. i really dig the geisha piece. well, i really dig them both. keep up the great work. ass.

Jason Kornmeyer said...

Nice work and congrats on Best of Ringling!!! Keep cranking out the good work.

Kendra Melton said...

I like the top one a lot the thing that bothers me about the second one is her left hand. It's like you got really into the right one and didn't follow through with the left. Besides that lookin good.

Nila Curry said...

Oh Dus and his coolness....