5/03/2008

Finally finished or something like that....







These are a few of the interior pages... minus the ending of course.


















I know, I know, it has been over a month since I last posted. I was overwhelmed with work, as well as, enjoying a healthy diet of coffee, Wendy's and Taco bell. However, after all the hard work, I finally finished my senior thesis! My semester project is a short comic story entitled The Half-man. The story is based upon an old, unknown African myth about a legendary man-eating creature that is always described to have half a body.
This project has been an amazing experience, and has further fueled my desire to pursue more comic work. I would not have been able to accomplish this task without the aid of George Pratt, who had a major role in making this project come to life. I send a big shout out to Ringling class of 08! We did it people... now we just have to pay it all back...I want to personally thank both the Ringling and Illustration Academy faculty. You guys are amazing and will always inspire me to create great work. To my roommates, all nine of them (Orlando Sanchez, Oliver Dominguez, Eric Bonhomme, Francis Vallejo, Javier Lopez, Tyler Schatz, Willie Diaz, Alan Martinez and Celeste Argueta) and my good friends (Jihad Lahham, Big Will, John Ofori, Joey Martin, Jared Fiorino, Laura Temple, Ashley Burkett, Sarah Watts, Adam Volker, Erin McGuire, Sarah Caterisano, Jane Radstrom, and all of computer illustration class). You guys encouraged me to keep going and helped me maintain some sort of sanity. I send out love to Olu who assisted me in fleshing out the story and has always been a big inspiration since the beginning. Big thanks to Andrew Wright and Robyn Hyzy for helping out when it was crunch time, and a very special thanks to miss Neesha Hunter, who has to be the best lab partner a guy could ask for, there is no way I could have done it without you. I know that it is a very long list (and probably should be even longer) but all these people have made this last year at Ringling worth every penny. I will see you guys around!
Let me know if you all are interested in purchasing a copy, you can email me at djdarnault@yahoo.com for more information.
Besides thesis I just finished a illustration for the design center. Concept was about getting job placement after graduation.

I have a few assignments that I was working on for Perez's digital illustration class.Illustration for the short story Subtotals by Greg Burnham. This is not one of my favorite pieces but it did give me a good laugh.

This last piece is still unfinished (shame on me!). Our task was to design a beer or wine label.
I do plan on completing it for the simple fact that I really enjoyed the drawing. I am not to sure about the coloring and my type needs kerning. Let me know what you think.

For my final project I decided to take another stab at designing the cover for Choke by Chuck Palahniuk. This is a really good book, however not a story for the faint of heart. The overall piece is still a little rough, when time permits I plan on cleaning it up.



Thats all for now
-Dd

18 comments:

gumkid said...

ih man, you can draw so freakin well, its a little overwhelming, both oyu and andrew man.. your thesis are the bomb

Oliver Dominguez said...

Sup Dustin,

Thanks for the shout out! In deed my friend we did it. But now comes the hard part finding a room to work at. You my friend are an inspiration, and a good friend.

Best,

Oliver

See you in MIA!

305 dogg

my nigga....

Pop-Monkey said...

Dustin, everything looks absolutely fantastic! I wish I could be down there to see the senior show, but I'm glad you posted all of this for us to see. Really, great stuff. Love it all, especially the CHOKE cover (Palahniuk is one of my favorite authors). Best of luck to you!

gumkid said...

yo man, thanx, what u doing after graduation man

gumkid said...

ah man.. I just got a shitty job illustrating for this indie movie guy, pays shit, Before that I was washign dishes,

Olumuyiwa Ajagbe said...

You thesis comic book reads beautifully! I shed a tear when I saw your "Flash back" transition. I show my sequential teacher you pages and he loved it. Simply amazing. You really finished strong. Congrats on everthing!

BWIL said...

Nice Work!! The pages are awesome!Love the Choke cover design. Good job
sir!

BWIL said...

Im gonna be in Miami for two weeks at the end of May then Im back up in Atlanta doing working and summer school.

Francis Vallejo said...

youre on a roll sir, we need ta hit up NY so you can drop your book off at Marvel and DC, only good things can come from that I'm sure

-francis

Illink said...

Yo, what's up Dustin? I see you've been workin hard, it shows great work on the pages. I know you said you didn't think the computer illustration piece was nice, but I think it is. I like the composition,drama and storytelling. So your coming to an end for school, what do you have lined up for when you get out? God bless and keep doin you.

Darnell

Sarah Watts said...

Flippin awesome Dustin, you really did amazing, very professional.

Illink said...

Thanks. I'm looking to make a website myself before I head out from college, the blog will due for now. Let me know when you get the website up and kicking. I believe you'll land something with your talent. I'm doing well I can't complain, working hard so I have no regrets when I get out. I thought I let you know that I moved from Miami, I live in Georgia now. I'll let you know when I come down to visit.

Sandra Lucia said...

Your thesis was amazing! It was put together really well and also was extremely professional. Defiantly one of my favorites, thanks for inspiring.

Francis Vallejo said...

http://www.cheapjoes.com/store/details.asp?pid=SS

this could be money, i think imma get it and take it for a test drive

Andrew R. Wright said...

I am proud to say the 8th page down is in the permanent collection of... well... me! I just thought I would let everyone know that.
Dude, wow. I tell ya, that all night book making the day before the show damn near killed me but kept me going.

You in 'sota this weekend?

Marcelo Braga said...

All your blogs are great! Not to mention your new book... Congrats on that!

LuisNCT said...

Great works! Your ink artwork are really good

Lok said...

the book and the art work in it rocks it on so many levels. wicked stuff man!