6/16/2008

Quick post : Illustration Academy



Hey people! We are heading into the 3rd week of the Illustration Academy and as usual it has been an awesome eye-opening experience. The first assignment was an exercise on simple picture making. We focused on basic principles such as composition, color, and value.
The second project was assigned by the always amazing, Jon Foster. The goal was to pick a character from classic literature and illustrate an emotion. I selected Guy Montag from Ray Bradbury’s masterpiece Fahrenheit 451. This book is set in a not too distant future where firemen are now charged with the job of setting fire to all literary works. I wanted to show the moment when the character comes to the realization that by burning these books, he is single handedly destroying humanity.

Well that’s it for the moment; I plan on posting again next week with some studio pictures and hopefully some new pieces. If you want to see some great shots of the past few weeks go to George Pratt's art blog.

Take care,

-Dd

22 comments:

Will Ralston said...

bad ass stuff brother!

Geary Day said...

good stuff..the characterization on the portrait is real nice

Jared Fiorino said...

Hey man this is sick! Nice lighting!

gumkid said...

good stuff man, hows it going over there

Illink said...

I readed that book!!! Lookin good.Love the lighting and rendering of the second piece. This is great stuff!

Pinflux said...

Flip dude, I love your work! Just found your blog through this guy (http://john-nevarez.blogspot.com). Keep it up! :D

J

C.B. Canga said...

your pen and ink work is great. love the dry brush you incorporate.

Jason Seiler said...

Wow, awesome work Man!!!

abhishek singh said...

very nice work ...ur pages look great ..nice layouts!!
n the illustration academy is definitely inspiring..
thanks for sharin
n keep up the good work
abhishek

karim Qabrawi said...

Hi this is Karim

I Work with Animations & Comics

I liked your Job so

I wanted to leave you my Blogspot

so If you like my Job Add me to your Link Section At:

http://karim-qabrawi.blogspot.com/

keep going with your Fine Art!

Eric Orchard said...

Amazing work!

Pinflux said...

Thanks man :) Influences? Ooo ahh, in terms of art I have way too many influences through art blogs and DA, but I think my fav artists would have to be James Jean and Claire Wendling. Who are you into?

Illink said...

Everything is great! I want be going back to miami for the summer.

C.B. Canga said...

thanks.

i went to the academy of arts university in san francisco

Francis Vallejo said...

might like this dude:

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=8688305&postID=2718103913523747142&page=1

EL GRANDE said...

I’m floored. What a cool image.

Dustin dArnault said...

Hey guys thanks for the kind words, I appreciate all the feed back.
I should be posting more work from the academy soon. Until then take care.

-Dd

EL GRANDE said...

The pages are done on vellum with pencil, ink, and gouache. Thanks for the visit.

Ciao,
joe y elio

jihad lahham said...

right on brother... i wish i was there to see some work in progress... awesome as always

victoriaying said...

Fantastic! the fireman is fabulous!

lindsaykay said...

hey dustin - your work on here is awesome! nice stuff going on...keep posting that sweet, sweet academy stuff. theres some cool stuff coming out of there this summer..

-lk

Duncan Barton said...

I dig your 451 piece man, post the new stuff! It deserves to be on here too!